Lab Manager Job|
View all jobs from this company
<< Go back |
||Jan 24, 2018
||- n/a -
||- n/a -
||US - Massachusetts - Westborough
|Job Number: ||2847465|
|Business: ||GE Healthcare|
|Business Segment: ||Healthcare Life Sciences|
|About Us: ||There is no other life sciences company quite like GE Healthcare Life Sciences. A $5 billion business with more than|
11,000 individuals in over 100 countries, we are at work enabling a new era in medicine. For more than 60 years, GE
Healthcare Life Sciences has globally supported the development and use of new therapies, helping accelerate the
journey from biological understanding to clinical therapy. GE Healthcare Life Sciences works with cutting edge
technology enabling and advancing the discovery, diagnosis and medical treatments of the present and the future.
We are accelerating biology to cell therapy in ways no other company can.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and watch our discoveries in action on our YouTube channel.
Learn More About GE Healthcare – Life
Learn More About Careers at GE Healthcare – Life
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
|Posted Position Title: ||Lab Manager|
|Career Level: ||Experienced|
|Function Segment: ||Laboratory Operations|
|Location: ||United States|
|U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces: ||Massachusetts|
|Postal Code: ||01581-1019|
|Relocation Assistance: ||Yes|
|Role Summary/Purpose: ||The Lab Manager is responsible for the safety and operation of the Bioprocess R&D laboratory facilities. In this position, the Lab Manager may support R&D through experimentation and engineering test activities. The Lab Manager is responsible for the function/maintenance of lab equipment and safe use of the overall lab/activities conducted within the lab.|
|Essential Responsibilities: ||Key responsibilities/essential functions include: |
- Provides technical oversight of labs, equipment and testing, makes recommended changes and serves as a resource for problem solving and process improvement
- Laboratory Operations, Maintenance & Organization: including but not limited to operation/function, daily maintenance, and repair of laboratory equipment, calibration, routine quality control and troubleshooting, and scheduling of preventative maintenance
- Establish capability to run/operate all lab equipment and use chemicals safely, ensure lab users have been trained on the correct use of the lab equipment/chemicals, and provide ongoing mentoring and monitoring of lab equipment use
- Long term strategic planning for labs, needs for new equipment and ability to manage change such as lab consolidation/expansion
- Health and Safety Training & Compliance
- Maintain SDS documents and chemical inventory
- Coordinate and support EHS and Facilities for chemical disposal
- Support and promote EHS/safety committee activities, including holding responsibility for resolving safety concerns/findings
- Ensures all employees follow company Standard Operating Procedures, safety instructions and other requirements as needed
- Oversees inventory and maintenance of supplies of reagents and other material at optimal levels
- Interface with both R&D and internal groups using laboratories and maintain schedules for shared equipment/space
- Periodically work closely with Bioprocess R&D engineers and scientists to further product development projects in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary and collaborative environment, including performing experimentation and engineering tests for internal projects
- Monitors lab issues and assists with resolutions
- Manage warehousing and storage of samples and lab equipment
Quality Specific Goals:
1. Aware of and comply with the GEHC Quality Manual, Quality Management System, Quality Management Policy, Quality Goals, and applicable laws and regulations as they apply to this job type/position
2. Complete all planned Quality & Compliance training within the defined deadlines
3. Identify and report any quality or compliance concerns and take immediate corrective action as required
4. Be able to follow department’s procedures including specimen routing, handling, sample gross description, smear and imprint preparation, and aliquoting specimens and tissues.
5. Ability to identify, understand and evaluate the acceptability of routine or complex analysis prior to releasing patient reports.
6. Recognize and take appropriate action in response to critical or unexpected results and communicate these with Supervisor or Pathologist.
7. Ensures the QC processes are established and followed as required.
8. Ensures QI metrics are established and followed as required.
9. Ensure laboratory operates with no major systematic deficiencies as determined by external audits (CAP, NYS).
10. Utilize Operational Excellence program to continuously improve operations.
|Qualifications/Requirements: ||Required Qualifications: |
1. Must have a solid understanding of general laboratory techniques with emphasis for the department specific techniques
2. Demonstrate excellent problem solving skills
3. High level of accuracy and attention to detail
4. Ability to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals within specified safety guidelines
5. Strong written, verbal presentation and interpersonal skills
6. BS Degree in Life Sciences or Engineering, or equivalent technical experience (e.g. 10 years engineer/lab experience)
7. All candidates must pass a color vision test if required
8. Familiarity with ISO, FDA OSHA and other regulatory standards
|Additional Eligibility Qualifications: ||GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.|
|Desired Characteristics: |
- Strong hands-on ability to use/operate both bench top and large floo