Senior Scientist, Immunohistochemistry and Image Analysis Job|
View all jobs from this company
<< Go back |
||Nov 15, 2017
||- n/a -
||- n/a -
||US - California - San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Senior Scientist in Translational Pathology serves as an integral member of the Histology and Immunohistochemistry Laboratory team that supports a variety of drug development programs at discovery and development stages, with a focus on biomarker development for patient stratification and on complex target assessment using tissue based techniques such as Immunohistochemistry (IHC) and digital image analysis. In general, the scientist will design and optimize singleplex and multiplex IIHC assays, and develop image analysis algorithms to measure protein and/or gene expression levels in animal tissues and patient samples with a strong emphasis on hematopathology and immune-oncology. This scientist will implement, manage and supervise scientific, administrative, and technical activities related to whole slide scanning, multispectral scanning, and digital pathology, and will play an important role in developing novel, state of the art multiplex and imaging assays to identify mechanisms of drug response and refractoriness in clinical trial patient samples. Additionally, this individual will collaborate with scientists in discovery, toxicology and translational development to understand immune gene signatures and phenotypes that may assist in patient stratification and help elucidate pharmacology and toxicology mechanisms of action of immune modulatory drugs. The Senior Scientist is also responsible for assisting the Head of Translational Pathology in identifying and implementing new technologies in the field of digital image analysis.
Responsibilities will include the following:
1. Establish and manage a digital pathology laboratory focused on whole slide based image analysis techniques including the following capacities:
2. Manage and coordinate whole slide, fluorescent and multispectral scanners.
3. Develop image analysis techniques to assess complex IHC biomarkers with an emphasis in immune oncology and hematopathology.
4. Provide statistical analysis and data visualization for biomarker data in light of clinical trial responses as needed.
5. Work closely with information technologies to implement and manage a large image database and a number of image analysis software and systems, locally and in cloud servers.
6. Actively seek and evaluate emerging and cutting edge digital imaging technologies to advance the field of digital pathology at Celgene.
- Work closely with scientists in the histology and Immunohistochemistry laboratory, as well as pathologists, to develop and optimize multiplex IHC assays and in situ hybridization assays, and assist on routine performance of such assays once validated.
- Collaborate with scientists in discovery, non clinical development and translational development to design morphology based endpoints relevant to target identification, toxicity management and or patient selection and stratification.
- Provide guidance and mentoring for other scientists across the organization in the use of image analysis software tools available at Celgene including but not limited to the PathXL Xplore image database, Halo image analysis and Vectra3/Inform.
- Collaborate with the companion diagnostics team to transfer assays to Contract Laboratories, as needed.
- Work with internal and external academic/medical collaborators on publications involving digital pathology data analysis and interpretation
- Maintain digital pathology and image analysis expertise through organizational associations, literature review, continuing education, and publications.
- Establish and maintain working relationship with key opinion leaders in the digital analysis and biomarker development community, academicians, and key Celgene staff.
Ph.D. with at least 6 years of work experience, preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with at least 14 years work experience or Master’s degree with at least 12 years work experience.
Industry Knowledge Required:
An advanced graduate degree in a relevant field, generally a Ph.D. in biology and post doctoral training in software engineering, with extensive training and industry experience in digital pathology and an excellent understanding of tissue based biomarker development and image analysis. Background in immunology is preferred.
Advanced knowledge of digital image analysis algorithm development in a number of software platforms and experience designing and optimizing Immunohistochemistry assays, in situ hybridization assays and multiplex chromagenic and/or immunofluorescence assays. Familiarity with clinical trial structure, patient sample management, biostatistics and companion diagnostic assay development strongly desired.
• Contributing to research program and business.
• Broad knowledge of multiple functional technologies.
• In-depth understanding of function as it relates to project.
• Leads by example in lab.
• Functional area expert with skills, theoretical knowledge and experience to apply scientific direction and approach to projects and problems.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Completes technical assignments by designing, executing and interpreting complex experiments.
• Recommends department level strategic decisions.
• Manages and/or coordinates workflow on projects.
• Apply diverse scientific knowledge to assignments.
• Development of research tools.
• Interpret results.
Strong verbal and written skills; ability to provide focus and clarity; able to handle confidential information and material appropriately. Ability to anticipate resource needs and helps establish priorities. Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence and the incorporation of multiple points of view.
Strategic Decision Making
Strategic thinker who can balance near term objectives with long term goals and outcomes, evaluate risk and develop effective solutions through an integrated multi-disciplined decision-making approach.
• Helps design research strategies consistent with department goals.
• Provides input and makes recommendations to research strategies.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
• Identify & solve multi-faceted challenges.
• Recognizes problems and is able to recommend and develop appropriate solutions from prior experience, literature, or collaboration.
• Contributes ideas and develops/presents a scientific case (or position) inside and outside department/group.
Teamwork and Influence:
• Reliable mentor who can train scientists from a variety of backgrounds on the basic principles of image analysis to facilitate end-user experience with image analysis software tools.
• Communicates with cross functional team.
• Directly impacts the achievement of workgroup/team goals.
• Direct impact on departmental performance.
• Able to conceptualize broad impact of research programs and personal activities in terms of site.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regar