Chemist/Sr. Scientist Job|
View all jobs from this company
<< Go back |
||Nov 15, 2017
||- n/a -
||- n/a -
||US - West Virginia - Rocket Center
Job ID: CRB20170501-37815
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
CHEMIST - DEFENSE MANUFACTURING
Orbital ATK’s Missile Products Division has an exciting opportunity for a Chemist located our Manufacturing Center of Excellence near Cumberland, MD. The position is for an analytical chemist to support the development and manufacture of propellant, explosive and adhesive bondliner for rocket motor and warhead programs.
• Operate modern analytical instrumentation including HPLC, GPC, GC and IR.
• Perform standard analytical methods for quality control and material assessment.
• Train an oversee laboratory technicians for routine analysis.
• Communicate effectively as part of a team of chemists and engineers and be a resource for general chemical questions.
• Design and maintain databases to monitor instrument performance.
• Help maintain the highest safety standards by instruction and example to others.
• Review technical papers and recommend improvements in laboratory operations
• Continuously improve technical and business acumen to ultimately serve as a subject matter expert.
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry
• 0-10 years work experience in energetics, adhesives or other chemistry field
• Ability to understand relevant chemistries with special emphasis on analytical, polymer, and inorganic
• Ability and willingness to work outside of standard work hours when needed to resolve issues
• High ethical standards of work and personal conduct
• Ability to understand and interpret physical and chemical properties data
• Understanding of statistics related to Statistical Process Control (SPC)
• Proficiency in MS office tools and web-based organizational filing
• Able to obtain a Secret Clearance which requires US Citizenship as a prerequisite
• Strong organizational skills
• Possess good interpersonal skills
• Have demonstrated capability for independent work and creativity
• Clear written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work with a cross functional team
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Under general guidance and direction, performs complex tasks that support several technical program objectives. Collaborates with more senior scientists or engineers to solve complex analytical problems.
1. Contributes to the completion of moderately difficult technical tasks associated with proposals, reports, and technical papers for specific programs and project milestones.
2. Supports execution of scientific research projects, including feasability studies, proof of concept, trade studies, modeling and simulation, design of experiments, performance optimization and process/facility design. Supports the coordination of technical assignments with peers.
3. Develops and maintains detailed work instructions to support science and engineering methodologies. Without detailed direction, plans, prepares and applies knowledge of understood methodologies. Contributes to authorship of proposals, test methods, analyses, specifications, and reports.
4. Supports the development, testing, evaluation and validation of multiple scientific research tasks. Provides technical support for tasks related to failure investigations. Documents, reviews and approves results.
Education and Experience
Requires B.S. or B.A. & 4 years experience or M.S. & 2 years experience.
Education encompasses one or more of the following disciplines: physical science, material science, mathematics or engineering (chemical, mechanical, electrical, aerospace or similar).
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D